Who We Are
We exist to provide solutions and create value through our professional services for businesses, individuals, and nonprofits in our community.
We are committed to utilizing our position as the preeminent independent accounting and professional services firm in Central Virginia to make a positive difference for our clients and our community.
We will use our expertise and entrepreneurial spirit to:
• nurture future leaders through a supportive, challenging, and enjoyable work environment
• provide the highest quality professional services to our clients
• utilize our outstanding team and maximize their effectiveness by promoting a healthy balance between work and daily life
• work with clients and team members to accomplish their desired results
Our Core Values
Our integrity is the foundation of all we do. This demands the highest level of ethical and moral conduct in our professional and personal lives. While we adhere rigorously to professional standards, we also hold ourselves to an even higher standard in order to earn and deserve the trust of our clients, colleagues, and community. Our integrity underpins the outstanding reputation we have built over many years and will support our future success.
We encourage our team members to seek fulfillment both professionally and personally. We recognize different stages of life present different challenges in terms of balancing work, relationships, and family needs. Our environment promotes balance and health to support our team members and to help them support the goals of our firm, clients, and community partners.
Teamwork and collaboration are key to our success. Our collective talents, combined with mutual respect, allow us to build strong, enduring relationships. We are able to draw on a diverse range of backgrounds and interests to produce efficient, effective results.
We are here to serve. Whether we are providing accounting and technical expertise to clients, helping each other, or enthusiastically participating in community projects, our objectives are the same: to contribute our skills, energy, and a responsive, entrepreneurial spirit in order to make a difference.
Our firm embraces an uncompromising culture of commitment. We have the determination and resources needed to improve outcomes and overcome challenges. We are here for each other and our clients until the answer is found, expectations are met or exceeded, and the job is done.
We are driven to excel. We challenge ourselves to achieve the highest levels of performance. Our professionals are dedicated to learning, growing, and anticipating what is next. Our outstanding technical expertise and our deep experience enable us to provide significant, value-adding solutions for our clients.
More than 90 Years in Central Virginia
Our founder R. G. Hantzmon began working for an accounting firm in Washington, DC. in the early 1920s. The firm assigned Hantzmon to its Charlottesville office in 1928, which eventually became known as T. Coleman Andrews & Co.
In 1936, Hantzmon took over the office as a sole proprietor, and the firm became known as R. G. Hantzmon, Certified Public Accountant. The firm hired Reuel A. Wiebel, Jr. as a staff accountant in 1941, and in 1951, Hantzmon, Wiebel and Clifford L. Beakes formed a partnership. In 1956, Beakes withdrew from the partnership, and Hantzmon, his son R. Van E. Hantzmon, and Wiebel formed a new partnership. The name then changed to Hantzmon, Wiebel & Company.
In December of 1962, the firm moved from the Valley View Building on what is now the Downtown Mall to 818 East Jefferson Street. R. G. Hantzmon retired in 1965, and Wiebel retired in 1982. Our current group of partners joined the firm beginning in the late 1960s, and the firm changed its name to Hantzmon Wiebel LLP in 2004. We moved to our current location at 701 E Water St, Ste 300 in November of 2021.
From our founding partners to our present-day leadership team, our firm has always adapted and changed to meet the needs of the marketplace and address our clients’ challenges. We have enjoyed steady growth over the years, and Hantzmon Wiebel is now recognized as one of the largest CPA firm in Central Virginia.
Engaged in the Community
Through the years, our firm has supported hundreds of community groups via financial contributions and donations of professional time. Some of our philanthropic commitments focus on higher education, specifically in business and accounting-related fields. Our support includes:
- University of Virginia — scholarships and support of an academic speaker series
- James Madison University — scholarships and a faculty fellowship
- Piedmont Virginia Community College — scholarships and support of the accounting department lab
- University of Virginia’s College at Wise — scholarships
- VSCPA Education Foundation — scholarships
In addition, the firm contributes to the Virginia College Fund, the Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges, and the Education Foundation of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants. We also sponsor the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner and are active in the Central Virginia Partnership for Economic Development, the Charlottesville Business Innovation Council, the local Small Business Development Center, and the Center for Nonprofit Excellence.
Members of the firm also serve on many boards, including the following:
• Albemarle County Police Foundation
• Area III Special Olympics
• Central Virginia Partnership for Economic Development, Private Sector Council
• Charlottesville Albemarle SPCA
• Charlottesville Area Community Foundation
• Charlottesville Municipal Band
• Emergency Food Network
• Martha Jefferson Hospital Foundation
• Martha Jefferson House
• Partner for Mental Health
• Piedmont Virginia Community College Educational Foundation
• SARA — Sexual Assault Resource Agency
• SHE — Shelter for Help in Emergency
• Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department
• The Village School
• UVA Health System Financial Advisors Council
• UVA Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)
• Women United in Philanthropy